I often hear people use the terms, “self-confidence” and “self-esteem” interchangeably. In researching this all-elusive concept of confidence, I have discovered something – self confidence and self-esteem are not the same things.
Self-confidence is your opinion or perception of yourself.
Self-esteem is the value you place on yourself.
You can actually have high self-confidence in an area or areas of your life and have surprisingly low self-esteem in others. We often see this in people who may be great at their business or job, but whose marriage is seriously emotionally or physically abusive. Or we may see an actor or celebrity who is incredibly confident in front of the camera, but who treats their bodies horribly and may struggle with addiction, eating disorders or negative self-talk.
The sweet spot is to get you to a place where you have both high self-confidence and high self-esteem. And then we want to take you beyond that to a place of self-certainty.
This is a challenging topic because most people would not admit to having low self-confidence or self-esteem. Let’s talk about what true confidence, not just the appearance of confidence, looks like.
Here are 10 Signs That You Are Confident:
- You rarely hesitate to speak or take action.
- You do not try to emulate someone else or covet what someone else has.
- You are completely comfortable with yourself.
- You do not seek approval or acceptance from others.
- You allow yourself to shine.
- You are comfortable allowing others to shine without becoming self-conscious.
- You accept responsibility for the quality and circumstances of your life.
- You don’t put up with maltreatment from others.
- You avoid self-destructive habits and behaviors.
- Your sense of self is not dependent on your circumstances or relationships.
Yes, it is possible to live confidently and with high self-esteem. It just takes some understanding of what your process looks like and implementing some training to help you get there.
There are actually nearly 30 signs that you are confident. There is more to come…
For the first time EVER, I am teaching a 2-part webinar that will get you there:
Moving Beyond Self-Confidence to Self-Certainty
A Special 2-part Webinar
Tuesdays September 18th & 25th
7:30 pm – 9:00 pm EST
This is one you don’t want to miss!
Let’s DO this!
Dedicated to Your Success,
Founder, The Int’l Alliance of Christian Business Women and
The Kingdom Minister’s Association